Thursday, January 14, 2010

Used to do something/to be Used to doing something!!!

Are you looking at the title thinking both are the same?

SHAME ON YOU!!!

If I say I used to do something; for example: I used to smoke, drink red bull, drive a car, read poetry, it means that I DON'T anymore
So: USED TO +VERB: PAST HABIT NO LONGER PRACTICED!!!!

If I say I am used to doing something, for example: I am used to, waking up early, taking the bus to work, working 15 hours a day, studying for ten hours a day,living in Poland etc..

SO: TO BE USED TO +ING: this means that something was difficult and unpleasant for a while, but now you can manage and not be bothered by it!!!

ALTHOUGH...If you say I am used to snowboarding, skiing, riding a bike, or other activities, then I AM USED TO +ING is strange...it's better to say that you are GETTING GOOD AT+ING..
I am getting good at playing the guitar, because the guitar was never unpleasant, so i didn't have to get used to playing it!!!

Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment